Friday, May 20, 2011

Week 1 - Day 3 - Feeling Like a Failure!


I went and bought new running shoes which feel great and don't seem to hurt my achilles / calf like my old shoes, but apparently I did enough "damage" on Wednesday to have made it nearly impossible to run today. I got out on the road, was doing my warm up walk and I could feel my calf was a bit "tender" but I thought "Hey, I'll just run this out!". Well about 20 strides into the first run part my calf said to me "what, are you crazy?!?!? I'm hurt here, you should just try this some other time!". So I stopped running but continued to walk through the 30 minute program.

Now I know I'm not a failure for being "injured" and I know I'm not a puss for stopping running and not hurting myself further, but I'm not feeling very accomplished for walking. I'm just hoping that I can heal up by Sunday so I can try the W1D3 program again. I may try to add some additional exercise on my "off" days, not sure what type yet. I've done the weight thing before and it's great for building strength and muscle, but you then have to keep doing it to maintain. Not sure that I want to bulk up with muscle which I've done before, because I don't get thin and lean I just get bigger and stronger. Anyhow, I sound like I'm whining now so I'll stop.

So on Sunday I'll try again and maybe my calf won't still be in pain.

4 comments:

  1. HI!! First of all, good for you for doing C25K. I'm trying it for the 3rd time. Each previous time I dropped out by week 3. I'm currently in week 2 (just finished...next run will be week 3!!)

    If you're hurting, you're right to not push it! Try some biking instead. That can give you the same leg workout without the constant pounding on your legs. Also swimming, or "pool running" where you literally run down the lane instead of swim it. Sure, you look a little loopy, but it's great for tension on your legs and again is more gentle on your legs that running.

    Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now a follower...this better be pithy and entertaining....and mind your calf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this fivedog person, eh?? ;^)

    ReplyDelete